Monday, September 15, 2008

Inertia...

Sir Isaac Newton's first law of motion states that every object remains at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force. This is normally taken as the definition of inertia. In even simpler terms, inertia means "A body in motion tends to remain in motion, a body at rest tends to remain at rest."

Inertia could also be the definition of procrastination, "a body at rest tends to remain at rest", even "a body in motion tends to remain in motion" works here. Basically it's like this... if I start my day sitting on my franny at the computer surfing, chatting and generally not moving outside of that zone for the first hour after waking or launching the boys to school, then sitting on my franny is exactly where I will stay for the majority of my day. Or if I start my day being busy but still not doing anything productive, my day will continue to be effectively unproductive even though it "looks like" I'm actually doing something. To change the state of either of these types of procrastination I have to be compelled by the action of an external force.

So perhaps the trick here is to determine what my "external force" is that will actually move me off my franny or out of the rut of unproductivity... what will it take to "kick my franny" into 4th or even 5th gear instead of neutral, or at best, 1st gear? Really, I'm hoping this blog will be it, but it may just be another form of procrastinating... Join me if you will in my adventures as a procrastinating sahm as I try to kick trick myself out of the rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment