Friday, December 31, 2010

Eat Less, Move More.......

I found a newspaper article years ago (we'll refrain from stating how many) of the same title as this post. It intrigued me and I kept it, unfortunately, it would require a bulldozer currently to unearth it and find the name of the author, so if you're out there, I do give credit where credit is due, just don't know your name presently ;). The article's title was self explanatory, but if memory serves (which it usually doesn't), the writer essentially was making a point about the trend towards fad diets and that losing weight and getting healthier is not that complicated.

I know the arguments too well: "but I'm really overweight so it's too hard", "I don't have the energy/time", "I have medical issues", "but I have a thyroid problem", "I self medicate with food", "it's my meds", "but but but....." and what a big butt it is. I know these arguments, because I have, and can, use them all, and then some. But.... I am my own worst enemy and my own best friend. I choose to let these things control my life, or I choose to control my own life. I can love myself for who I am, and recognise that some areas still need improvement, and that's bloody well just fine. I'm not perfect, I'll never be a size 2 (ewwwww) and I will never grow past 5'4" (more than likely I'll shrink). I am a pretty woman (that one is REALLY hard for me to say), I am a good hearted woman, I am woman, hear me roar... ummm yes, well you get the point. Oh, and I don't do diets... I'm with Garfield on that one, the word diet, is DIE spelled with a 'T'. :P

December 2009, I found myself sticking my head out of a deep lake of despair and taking a deep cleansing breath, realised that I had just spent the last five months wallowing in self hate. I had sunk into a deep depression, as with most in that state, I had no clue. Somehow, and without medication, I pulled myself onto the shore of self-forgiveness, and began the process to clean the residue of depression off (no easy task I tell ya). So now you're wondering, what in the world has any of this got to do with dieting or diets? Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm about to tell you, but the journey has to start with a first step, and this was my first step.

Here it is, the last day of 2010,  and I am realising I need to do something, and do something quick before the lake pulls me back under, and I look over at my fireplace and quietly leaning there, patiently waiting for me to notice it, is my friend, the Wii Fit Balance Board. So I will dust it off, give it new life (fresh batteries), plug everything in, grab the games and bravely climb on for the first time in awhile. I say bravely, because I can assure you, I will NOT be happy with the results. But instead of feeling hopeless and telling myself I can't do it, I will take that body test as a challenge, as if it was trying to say, "I dare you!"

2011 is a new year and a new decade, it's time to not make resolutions that can be broken but lifestyle changes to last, well, for life. So, with some fear of not succeeding, but knowing that I should need WANT to feel better, I WANT to be healthy for myself, for my family, and for my friends, and with the words to the title of that newspaper article echoing in my head, playing over and over, I have begun slowly. One very real fear was the exercise would make my fibro flare as it has in the past, but I will NOT let the fibro define me, I am not FMS, I am me . I started working out a couple days ago, and I feel AWESOME !!! Even with a chinook coming. So I worked out the next day, and I felt even better !!! And tomorrow (need to go shopping) I will eat salad, and skip the junk food aisles at the grocery store.

I'm going to simplify, reduce the clutter in my home, the clutter on my butt and the clutter in my mind. I will enjoy more veggies, fruit and low fat meats, reduce the empty calories I eat, increase time in prayer and self reflection, reduce computer time and increase time with my family.

So here it is.... Eat less, move more.... it works surprisingly well. You really don't need that fancy diet to look and feel good. Just good information on healthy living, the will to succeed, a desire to reach your goals, and to learn to finally love yourself !!! I would love to hear from you, what are you doing to improve your health and sense of self? What are you doing to make yourself fly in 2011?

Happy New Year!!!

~Shannon xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Shannon.......this is a brilliant entry! You have successfully been able to 'verbalise' some of how I feel/behave/act/justify/excuse etc etc!! THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts....I love to read your writing. Happy 2011 pretty lady :)

    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Zoe! The next trick is to actually implement the plan. It's been a bit of a gong show so far, need to work on my willpower. I'm honoured that you enjoy my writings, I've been enjoying yours too :)! God bless.xo

    ReplyDelete